Everything you need to know about an Eritrea Visa
you are the holder of a British passport, you will need a visa to visit
Eritrea. But since Eritrean missions accept only personal visa applications, we
won’t be able to offer you full-fledged visa services in this matter.
you can scroll down to understand the detailed process of how to apply for an
Eritrean visa through the Embassy in the UK.
Eritrean Embassy refers all visa applications to Eritrea for authorization.
This means that the processing time can be long, which can extend by 5 to 10
are the two major types of visas issued by the consul:
- Tourist visa
- Business visa
A tourist visa is issued for purposes related to travel, leisure, vacation, or sightseeing. To apply for one, you will need the following documents:
- A signed and completely filled Eritrea tourist visa application form
- An original British passport that contains your signature. It should be valid for at least six months from the date you arrive in Eritrea. Additionally, it should have a minimum of one unused, clear visa page
- A passport-size photograph, taken within the last six months, captured against a white background
- Residence Permission in original, which proves that you have the right to stay in the UK. This can be in the form of a stamp, sticker or original BRP card and should be valid for at least three months from your date of exiting Eritrea
- A cover letter from your employer in the UK, not older than one month, typed on business letterhead, which contains your contact details and specifies that the required leave has been granted for your absence from the country. It should also state the purpose of your visit, duration of stay, and must be addressed to the High Commission of Eritrea. Self-employed applicants can share a copy of their business license and tax return. Retired travelers can submit evidence of retirement funds
You must ask for an application form directly by visiting the embassy. Hence, make sure that you carry all the supporting documents with you during your appointment. Below are the contact details of the Eritrean Embassy in the UK:
Address: 96 White Lion Street, Islington, N1 9PF, London, United Kingdom
A business visa is granted when your purpose of the visit includes activities such as attending a conference, seminar, contract negotiation, or any business meeting.
The documents required for this visa comprise a business visa application form, photo, passport, and Residence Permission - the details of which are already explained under the tourist visa section.
Additionally, you will need a letter of invitation issued by the sponsoring company in Eritrea. It should be typed on the official company letterhead and must be addressed to The Embassy of Eritrea.
It needs to contain the signature of a senior manager and should specify the employment status of the applicant, the type of business activities to be carried out in Eritrea, visa entry type and validity.
Note: Minors under 18 years, accompanied by parents holding a National ID Card issued by Eritrea don’t need a visa to enter the nation.
Eritrean visa applications usually have long processing times. Hence, ensure that you plan your travel well in advance.
You should also ensure that your documents stay valid during your stay period as Eritrean authorities impose strict penalties on foreigners who overstay their visas.
Land-border crossings from Ethiopia do not issue entry stamps. And you cannot embark on onward travel from Eritrea via air if you are not permitted entry without a valid stamp.
Holders of both British and Eritrean nationalities are automatically classified as Eritrean citizens by the Eritrean authorities.
Hence, if such travelers need assistance, they cannot seek help from the British Embassy.
Dual nationals who enter Eritrea on an Eritrean identity card instead of an Eritrean passport should obtain an exit visa from the Immigration Office in Asmara before departing the country.
Once you arrive in Eritrea, you must declare all foreign currency that exceeds 10,000 US dollars or equivalent. Once you have the foreign currency declaration form, please make sure that you get it approved and stamped before exiting the airport.
When you have declared any currency upon your arrival, you will have to prove if any foreign currency is missing that it was exchanged at a branch of ‘Himbol’ - the State foreign currency exchange.
Expenditures in US dollars at an official hotel must be verified via a receipt alongside the currency declaration form before exiting Eritrea. You cannot take more than 500 nafka (ERN) out of Eritrea.Failure to follow these rules can lead to prosecution.
UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Eritrea.