You Need To Know About Portugal Visa
is a country that is located in the Schengen zone, and as a result, citizens of
the United Kingdom do not need a visa to enter Portugal.
nationals from countries like India and Russia who reside in the United Kingdom
should apply for a visa while traveling to Portugal.
foreign nationals from outside the EU should complete a biometric process to
avail a visa to Portugal. You can seek the help of entrusted agencies like Visa
Genie to book an appointment at the visa application center.
on the requirements of the foreign national, authorities in Portugal have
classified their visas into several types. Please scroll down to know more about
different types of Portugal visas issued to foreign nationals.
Portugal tourist visa
As the name indicates, tourist visas are issued to foreign nationals who plan to enter Portugal exclusively for tourism-related activities. The validity of these tourist visas is three months, and the maximum days a person can stay inside the country is 90 days. Please find below the necessary documents that are required to obtain a Portugal visa.
- The foreign national should submit his or her passport, and it should have a minimum validity of six months. If your passport’s validity is less than six months, please renew it before applying for a Portugal tourist visa.
- Two recently taken photographs of the applicant should be submitted. Please note that these photographs should be taken in a white background, and it should show the full-frontal view of the applicant with the face centered in the middle.
- The foreign national residing in the United Kingdom should submit the ILR card or other proof of residence status. Please note that this residence proof should have a minimum validity of six months after completing the Portugal trip.
- The traveler should submit the full version of the itinerary. While submitting the itinerary, the traveler should make sure that it is being sent directly by an airline company or a travel agency. Please note that the validity of the visa will be determined by authorities in Portugal based on this itinerary.
- An employment letter issued by the foreign national’s employer in the United Kingdom should be submitted. This employment letter which should be addressed to the Portugal High Commission should state that a leave has been granted to the traveler, and he or she will return to work after completing the trip to Portugal. If the traveler is self-employed, he or she can submit the copy of business license or tax return. Retired travelers can submit copy of retirement funds.
- The foreign national should submit copy of hotel room booking confirmation.
- A bank statement stamped by the issuing bank should be submitted. Please note that the minimum balance that is shown in this bank statement is £600.
- A travel insurance issued in the United Kingdom should be submitted. Please note that this travel insurance is valid throughout the Schengen area, and it should provide a minimum coverage of €30,000 for medical emergency and repatriation.
- Please complete the Portugal tourist visa application form without any errors.
Tips to take care while applying for minors
Travelers who are under the age of 18 should submit the documents mentioned below to visit Portugal.
- Birth certificate of the applicant should be submitted.
- Consent letter from both the parents should be submitted.
- Passport copies of both the parents should be submitted.
Note: In usual cases, Portugal tourist visas will be issued to foreign nationals within 10 to 15 days after submitting the application.
Portugal business visa
Business visas are issues to foreign nationals who intend to visit Portugal for business-related activities like commercial trading. Please find below the necessary documents that are required to obtain these visas.
- The passport of the applicant which has a minimum validity of six months should be submitted. The applicant should also make sure that this passport has two blank pages for markings.
- Two passport-sized photographs should be provided. Please note that these photographs are taken within the last three months in a white background.
- The foreign national residing in the United Kingdom should submit the original ILR card or the proof of resident status.
- It is necessary to submit the full version of the itinerary that shows the dates of travel. Please note that an airline company or travel agency is sending this itinerary directly. Travelers should keep in mind that the number of entries in your Portugal business visa will be determined by the authorities based on this itinerary.
- An employment letter should be submitted, and it should be issued by the traveler’s employer in the United Kingdom. This UK company letter should be addressed to the Portugal High Commission. This letter which should be duly signed should assure that the foreign national will return to work after finishing the Portugal trip. If the traveler is self-employed, proof of business license or tax return can be submitted. Retired persons can submit proofs of retirement funds.
- A business invitation letter from the company in Portugal should be submitted. This business letter should not be older than a month, and it should be addressed to the Consulate of Portugal. This business invitation letter should detail the purpose of the trip, and it should also assure the financial liability of the foreign national.
- The traveler should submit proof of hotel room booking reservation.
- The traveler should submit bank statements issued in the past three months. This statement stamped by the issuing bank show a minimum balance of £600.
- Proof of travel insurance issued in the United Kingdom should be submitted. This travel insurance should be valid throughout the Schengen area, and it should offer a coverage of €30,000 for medical emergencies and repatriation.
- The application form to obtain a Portugal business visa should be filled very carefully without any errors.
Portugal medical visa
If you are a foreign national planning to avail treatment in Portugal, you can apply for a medical visa.
In order to obtain these visas, it is necessary to submit all the documents needed to obtain a tourist visa. Apart from this usual documentation, applicants should submit the additional documents mentioned below.
- It is necessary to submit a medical report from a medical practitioner in the United Kingdom.
- A medical attestation from a medical practitioner or hospital in Portugal should be submitted. Please note that this medical attestation is confirming the dates of appointment for the foreign national.
- The foreign national should submit the proof of payment paid to the hospital in Portugal.
- The applicant should also submit proof of sufficient funds.
Portugal visa for spouse and family members
In order to get these visas, the foreign national should submit the documents mentioned below.
- The applicant should submit all the documents needed to obtain a tourist visa.
- The applicant should submit the proof of Portuguese citizenship of the host.
- If the spouse is traveling to Portugal, it is necessary to submit the marriage certificate.
- Portugal family book should be submitted.