Everything You Need To Know About A Taiwan Visa
nationals traveling to Taiwan for business, tourism, or transit purposes do not
require a visa to enter the nation. You can stay in Taiwan for 90 days without
You can extend it by an additional 90 days once you enter its borders.
However, if your planned stay period exceeds 180 days, you have to apply for a
visa through the embassy prior to your travel dates.
visa-free entry is granted for purposes that do not require a permit. This
includes tourism activities, visiting friends or relatives, participating in
social events, carrying out business-related work, attending exhibitions, and
participating in fact-finding missions or international exchanges.
your travel intention includes activities that require a permit, you should
obtain the required permit from the concerned embassy in London. For activities
that need qualifications, such as religious work, you can apply for an ROC
through an overseas mission before entering Taiwan.
you are a UK national having a household registration in Taiwan, you must enter
and exit Taiwan with your ROC passport. If you use your British passport, you
may be prevented from leaving Taiwan.
Requirements for visa exemption
In order to avail the visa-exemption facility, you must hold a passport with remaining validity of at least six months from your entry date in Taiwan. It should also contain a minimum of two blank pages.
The passport can be either ordinary, official, service or diplomatic. If you hold an emergency, temporary, other informal passports or travel documents, you are not eligible for visa free entry into Taiwan.
Remember to present these documents at the port of entry in order to be granted visa exemption:
- A valid passport
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Proof of onward/return airline tickets
- Proof of purpose of trip
- Documents required for the next destination
Also ensure that the airline permits boarding without a visa and that you apply for individual transit visas if there are overseas connecting flights en-route. Before arriving in Taiwan, fill-up an online immigration arrival card on the website of the National Immigration Agency.
Other Visa Types
The following visa types require you to lodge an application with the Taiwanese Embassy in London:
A residence visa is available in various entries and is issued in a validity as deemed suitable by the embassy. To apply for a residence visa, you need:
- A passport with a minimum validity of 6 months and at least 2 blank pages
- Proof of relationship in the form of marriage or birth certificate legalized by the embassy
- 2 recent, passport-size photos
- Medical certificate, stamped by an authorized medical professional and legalized by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Proof of travel arrangements in the form of onward/return tickets
- Criminal record certificate issued in the United Kingdom and legalised by the Foreign Office
- Proof of immigration status of host
- A filled and signed visa application form
A work visa arrives in single entry and its validity is decided by the consulate.
- A 6-month valid passport with a minimum of 2 blank pages
- 2 passport-sized photographs, not older than 3 months
- Work permit issued by the Ministry of Economics
- A stamped and legalized medical certificate
- Proof of accommodation
- A copy of the biodata pages of your passport
- Completed visa application form
UK Emergency Travel Documents
UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted by Taiwanese immigration at points of entry, airside transit and exit. When you enter Taiwan using an Emergency Travel Document (ETD), you have to apply for a visit visa before travelling.